Maps & Directions
Visiting the Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter
MPSD is located in the CFEL building on the Science campus in Hamburg Bahrenfeld, Germany:
Main Entrance Side Entrance
Notkestr. 85 Luruper Chaussee 149
22607 Hamburg 22761 Hamburg
Please note: The building is near to the side entrance but this entrance is open for motorists only from Monday till Friday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and closed on weekends. It is open for pedestrians and cyclist at all times. They only have to ring a bell and the door will be opened by the people from the main gate.
How to reach the side entrance
The side entrance of the campus is located on Luruper Chaussee 149. The bus line 2 stops there (bus stop `DESY´).
How to reach the main entrance
If you come by plane or train and use the S-Bahn (metro) to ‘Othmarschen’, you can continue with bus line 1 (direction ‘Schenefelder Holt’ or ‘Rissen …’) to bus station `Zum Hünengrab/DESY´(5 bus stops).
First, arrive at Hamburg Altona station. From there you have the following options available:
1. Continue by taxi, traveling time approx. 15-20 min.
2. Continue by bus line 1 (direction ‘Schenefelder Holt’ or ‘Rissen …’) directly to the main entrance of DESY (bus stop ‘Zum Hünengrab/DESY’), traveling time approx. 25 min.
3. Continue by S-Bahn (local city train) line S1 or S11 (direction `Blankenese´ or `Wedel´) to station `Othmarschen´. Then take the bus line 1 (direction ‘Schenefelder Holt’ or ‘Rissen …’) to bus station ‘Zum Hünengrab/DESY’ (5 bus stops).
If the train only stops at Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (main station), continue with S-Bahn (local city train) line S1 or S11 (direction `Blankenese´or `Wedel´) to `Othmarschen´ and follow the instructions above.
Hamburg's city train system (HVV)
After arriving at Hamburg airport Fuhlsbüttel, the following options are available:
1. Continue by taxi, traveling time approx. 40-50 min.
2. Continue with city train line S1 (direction `Blankenese or `Wedel`) to station Othmarschen). Then go on with bus line 1 (direction ‘Schenefelder Holt’ or ‘Rissen …’) to bus station ‘Zum Hünengrab/DESY’ (5 stations), traveling time approx. 60 min.
Exit the Autobahn (A7) at HH-Bahrenfeld.
- Arriving in Hamburg from the South: turn left onto the main road (Osdorfer Weg).
- Arriving in Hamburg from the North: turn right onto the main road (Osdorfer Weg).
Then turn right onto Notkestraße. The main entrance of DESY is the second road on the left.
Use DESY area map upon your arrival to the campus (walking distance from main gate to CFEL roughly 1km)
To arrange a stay on the DESY campus, please visit the Guest Services page
Map of the area surrounding the DESY campus.
Directions to DESY Campus (PDF, 459KB)
Directions to DESY Campus
Instructions on how to reach the DESY campus (where CFEL is located).
DESY campus map highlighting the CFEL building
DESY Gelände Karte (PDF, 230KB)
DESY Gelände Karte
DESY Gelände Karte mit hervorgehobenem CFEL-Gebäude