Numerical Methods and Practical Skills for Computational Physics Part II (IMPRS UFAST focus course)
IMPRS UFAST focus course
- Start: Feb 20, 2023 09:30 AM (Local Time Germany)
- End: Feb 24, 2023 01:00 PM
- Speaker: Heiko Appel, Henning Glawe
- Location: online
- Host: IMPRS UFAST
Numerical Methods in Computational Physics
Theory and experiment have been the two pillars of science that for centuries have underpinned our understanding of the world around us. With the advent of powerful computers, computational methods have emerged as a third pillar of science. Among other techniques, numerical methods, data analysis, and visualization have become indispensable tools for many scientists nowadays. This course intends to introduce basic numerical methods which allow to perform numerical simulations on modern computing platforms.
- Root finding and solving nonlinear equations
- Numerical differentiation and integration
- Solving ordinary and partial differential equations
- Solving linear systems of equations
- Eigenvalue problems
In addition, in the course we provide hands-on exercises for participants to gain experience with high-performance computing environments.
Basic Python knowledge, as for example provided by the course "Introduction to Programming with Python for Computational Science“ is recommended for this course.
20th – 24th February 2023
09:30h - 13:00h