Topological band theory - IMPRS-UFAST focus course
IMPRS-UFAST focus course
- Start: Jan 29, 2018 14:30
- End: Feb 2, 2018 17:30
- Speaker: Michael Sentef
- Location: CFEL (Bldg. 99)
- Room: Seminar Room V, O1.109
- Host: IMPRS-UFAST
This course covers basic concepts in the topological classification of band structures of solids, the development of which led to the Physics Nobel Prize in 2016 for Thouless, Kosterlitz and Haldane.
- Donuts and Pretzels: Gauss-Bonnet theorem, Berry phase, and the Chern invariant
- Integer Quantum Hall Effect: Kubo formula, Laughlin argument, TKNN invariant
- Haldane model
- bulk-boundary correspondence: what are topologically protected chiral edge states?
- Z_2 topological insulators and the Quantum Spin Hall Effect