Numerical Methods and Practical Skills for Computational Physics Part I (IMPRS UFAST focus course)
IMPRS UFAST focus course
- Beginn: 13.02.2023 09:30
- Ende: 17.02.2023 13:00
- Vortragender: Heiko Appel, Henning Glawe
- Ort: online
- Gastgeber: IMPRS UFAST
Practical Skills for Computational Physics
Theory and experiment have been the two pillars of science that for centuries have underpinned our understanding of the world around us. With the advent of powerful computers, computational methods have emerged as a third pillar of science. Among other techniques, numerical methods, data analysis, and visualization have become indispensable tools for many scientists nowadays. This course intends to introduce basic numerical methods which allow to perform numerical simulations on modern computing platforms.
- Basic revision control with git
- Collaborative revision control with Gitlab
- Continuous integration with Gitlab pipelines
- Jupyter Notebooks, Jupyter Books, and Gitlab user pages
- Compiling and linking codes
- The Slurm queueing system and module environments
In addition, in the course we provide hands-on exercises for participants to gain experience with high-performance computing environments.
Basic Python knowledge, as for example provided by the course "Introduction to Programming with Python for Computational Science“ is recommended for this course.
13th – 17th February 2023
09:30h - 13:00h