Admission as doctoral candidate and matriculation at Hamburg University
With signing your contract you are accepted for a PhD position at IMPRS-UFAST but still you have to be accepted as a PhD student at the corresponding department at the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences (MIN faculty), usually the Physics or Chemistry department and as a student at Hamburg University.
This needs to be done in two steps:
1. Admission as doctoral candidate
2. Matriculation at Hamburg University
Step 1: Admission as a doctoral candidate
- Apply online at Docata-MIN: https://docata.min.uni-hamburg.de/welcome
- Please note: Your email-address for Docata shold be your working address!
- Open up an account and fill in the application form online
- Hand in the papers listed below to the Office of Academic Affairs (“Studienbüro”) of your corresponding department.
Documents you will need to apply as a doctoral candidate:
- Application, signed by your supervisor and you (online-form, you will find it in Docata)
- Outline of your research project. Use the form “Forschungsskizze”
- Curriculum Vitae
- Publication list
- Diploma of university degrees (copy, officially exemplified): Bachelor and Master
- Transcript of Records (copy, officially exemplified): Bachelor and Master
- A copy of your university entrance certifcation
- A copy of your passport/ ID card
- Only for international students: Master thesis on electronic disk: if not in German/English, include an abstract of 1-2 pages in German or English
- Graduate School membership form
- Supervision Agreement (Department of Physics)
- Supervision Agreement (Department of Chemistry)
Upon successful registration you will receive a written confirmation from the Studienbüro.
Please hand in a photocopy of this confirmation at the IMPRS office and keep the original for your personal files. The IMPRS office will provide you with further information on the admission process.
Step 2: Matriculation
Once you are accepted as a doctoral student at your department, you can start the matriculation at Hamburg University.
The matriculation must occur latest until the semester that follows the admission. You have to pay a semester fee of about 325€ each semester. This contribution includes a student ticket for the HVV public transport in Hamburg and the surrounding area (valid for one semester).
Please be aware that the application process might take several weeks.
- Submit the application in the online application portal STiNE. (A detailed manual on how to register for STiNE can be found here.)
- Finally hand in the documents listed below to the Campus Center
Documents you will need to apply as a student at Hamburg University:
- Printed application form from the online application in STiNE
- The confirmation of admission or a notification from the Studienbüro
- Diploma of university degree (officially exemplified)
- Confirmation of your supervisor
- Health insurance confirmation
Upon successful matriculation you will receive a preliminary confirmation of enrolment and instructions on how to pay your semester fee. Once the semester fee is paid, you will receive your full student ID.